Poly myalgia rheumatica Treatments and Drugs
Poly myalgia rheumatica and Corticosteroids
Usually poly myalgia rheumatica is treated with low doses of oral corticosteroids (commonly prednisone). To start with a daily dose of 10-20 milligrams might be given.This is usually good for symptomatic relief and you should start to feel the benefit in 2-3 days. If you feel totally better in a few days then its probably you don’t have poly myalgia rheumatica. One way to confirm or rule out the diagnosis is to monitor your response to treatment.
After a few weeks of treatment, your doctor will start to decrease your dosage. This will be done gradually and also depends on your sed rate and C-reactive protein tests. The goal is to find the lowest dose possible that provides relief. Most people with poly myalgia rheumatica have to continue the corticosteroid treatment for a prolonged period.
There will be frequent monitoring of your condition during your treatment period.
Monitoring side effects
There are a number of serious side effects with long term use of corticosteroids. You will be monitored closely by your doctor for potential problems. Your dosage may be adjusted or treatment regime changed to manage any reactions to corticosteroid treatment you have. Side effects can include:
- Osteoporosis, decrease in bone density and subsequent weakening of the bones, which increase the risk of bone fractures
- High blood pressure (hypertension), which can increase risk of cardiovascular disease
- High cholesterol, which can also increase the risk of cardiovascular disease
- Diabetes, this can have range of repercussions in a number of body systems
- Cataracts, impairment of your vision by a clouding of the lenses of your eyes
- Depression or other changes in your emotional well-being
This may be recommended by your doctor for your Poly myalgia rheumatica to help you regain your strength, coordination and your ability to perform everyday tasks, especially after a period of inactivity that is common in poly myalgia rheumatica sufferers.